COMPLEMENTARY FITNESS Classes
All level classes are for men and women
Commit to working out with us to achieve your health + fitness goals
£5 pay as you go classes.
HEALTH and LIFESTYLE
Something to think about
Sleep Well – a good sleep routine could help keep your weight in check say US researchers. They found that a group who went to bed and got up at the same time each day had lower levels of body fat than those who didn’t. Eight hours is thought to be the optimum amount of sleep zzzzzz
Add physalis berries to fruit salads – they contain vitamin D as well as vitamin C, B12 and protein. I love those little orange berries and they look so nice in their paper cases too.
Did you know?
that because Dreghorn Loan Hall will be used for polling for the European Elections on Thursday 22 May, I’ve arranged that we can use The Dell Room, Colinton Parish Church for ONE COMBINED Fitness Pilates class 7.30 – 8.30pm that night. Please put the date and venue in your diary and I’ll remind you nearer the time and can give you directions etc too.
that 20-30 minutes of exercise most days of the week can help to boost endorphins – the body’s natural feel-good hormones which help to neutralise the negative effects of stress hormones. Brisk walking, cycling and swimming are all good options. Of course yoga, Pilates, Salsa and body conditioning classes will also help you too.
that there’s an article on How Exercise Can Help You Live Longer (by Dr Mercola) and you can read (and other articles) it if you click on
story at a glance/highlights of the story are:
· Your diet accounts for about 80 percent of the benefits you’ll reap from a healthy lifestyle, but even if you’re eating right, you still need to exercise effectively to reach your highest level of health
· Recent research found that, compared to those who exercised daily, and often vigorously, sedentary people had a 6 times greater risk of dying from heart disease over the course of 15 years
· Intermittent movement is equally critical. Chronic, undisrupted sitting—even if you maintain a regular fitness program—has been found to be an independent risk factor for premature death
· Physical activity also produces biochemical changes that strengthen and renew your brain—particularly areas associated with memory and learning
· One recent study found that those who had greater cardio-respiratory fitness in their teens and 20s scored better on cognitive tests in their mid-40s and 50s
on a lighter note: I’m reading a book about anti-gravity – I just can’t put it down!! (ha ha)
that we need some UV rays to help the body produce natural levels of vitamin D however, the length of time skin needs to be exposed to the sun to make sufficient levels depends on a variety of factors. Factors include skin type, the time of year and time of day. Around 10-15 minutes without sunscreen is enough for most light-skinned people between April-Oct – less time than it takes for skin to redden or burn. The most effective time of day for producing vitamin D is between 11am and 3pm.
that 5-11 May is Sun Awareness Week – I hope that we get some more sun this week and if we do, make sure that you put your sun protection cream on after your get your dose of Vitamin D.
that Saturday 10 May is Edinburgh Fair Trade Fiesta:
1pm is the Fair Trade Parade, City Chambers and from 2-7pm there’s a Fair Trade Concert in Princes Street Gardens. A wide range of performers, from pipe bands, samba bands to reggae, then jazz and soul, music and dance will provide five hours of entertainment at this FREE Fair Trade concert, ensuring an enjoyable and engaging experience for all. There will also be Fair Trade information, food & drinks stalls – sounds good. More info at:
Please update me: on how you’re getting on with your fitness, strength, flexibility and health.
Subscribe to our weekly Fitness Newsletters (on the News Page of my website) and please pass on details of our classes, my website, newsletter and encourage friends and colleagues to join us, thanks.
And – remember there’s still time to get involved in the Big Debate questions over the last 3 weeks. Just click on one of the Newsletters and Add your Comment.
Connecting with me
Email me at: email@example.com