I look forward to welcoming you and working out with you this week in our Fitness Pilates, Fitness Yoga & resistance/weights classes in Craiglockhart & Colinton, Edinburgh to help you improve your fitness, strength, stamina, core, posture and flexibility
All class details and times are on the Classes page of my website.
HEALTH and LIFESTYLE
National Vegetarian Week starts today and runs from 14-20 May and it’s about eating healthy, delicious and exciting veggie food. If you’re looking for some recipes to try out, there are lots online or check out:
On Saturday, we booked and went along to a Detox, Health & Beauty Day at Archerfield Walled Garden 10-6pm.
It was a day filled with various 20 minute talks (incl East Lothian nutritionist Amanda Hamilton – you may have read her books or seen her on TV?). In her 20 min health talk, she prioritized 3 goals which were:
1) Get Real with everything you eat and drink ie consume real, wholesome foods,
2) work from the inside out to improve gut bacteria by eating fermented foods which are beneficial bacteria to reduce inflammation and
3) intermittent fasting ie eating within a limited number of hours a day eg 8 hours and giving the body a rest by not eating for say 12-16 hours. She mentioned eating your last meal of the day by 5pm or 6pm latest and not eating anything else until breakfast the following morning at around 9am. She also said she does a 3 day juice/broth cleanse 4 times a year, each season which cleanses the body and to accelerate burning reserves.
Another speaker said that the 1 thing she’d recommend to people is to possibly have breakfast, definitely have a good nutritious lunch but to ‘eat light and eat early’ for your last meal.
Talking of fermented foods, I bought 3 jars of fermented veg while there from https://edinburghfermentarium.co.uk – click on the link to find out why fermented veg is so good for your digestion and immune system.
Apart from the talks, there were lots of fitness, yoga, core fit etc classes to try out.
There were various stalls and tables selling make up, botanical skincare, fitness clothing, food, drinks and there was the restaurant and music playing too. It was a great sunny day and I enjoyed taking part in a 30 min core fit class and a 45 yoga session which had some hard options but I have to be honest: I didn’t manage the squat where you flex forward, your forearms to the insides of your knees and lift both feet off the floor and hold it!!
Not many people did, only the younger yoga bunnies/yogis but that was ok – we’re all at different stages, we’re all different and unique and have to do our best and what’s right for us.
We’ve also been along to a couple of ‘last Saturday in the month’ Canteen events at Archerfield too where again, there are various street food traders, music, cocktail bar etc. They’re really family-orientated days out with a great relaxed atmosphere and they’re on from 12-6pm and it only costs £1 each to get in.
Find out more about Canteen events and other events at https://www.archerfieldwalledgarden.com/whatson
Talking of detoxing, if you’re thinking of detoxing for spring/summer, Jason Vale has a 7 day juicing challenge starting today which you can sign up for free if you’d like help along the way and recipes etc at https://bigjuicechallenge.com/
I like making and drinking a turmeric latte (almond milk, 1/2 -1 tsp organic powdered turmeric, I add in some ground cinnamon and ginger and some black pepper) but did you know that when you add in some black pepper, it increases the absorption of turmeric by 2000%?
– that when your body is hungry, it wants nutrients, not calories.
– a little progress each day adds up to BIG results
– there are 168 hours in a week so make sure you dedicate enough time to become stronger, fitter and healthier.
Let me know how you’re getting on in our classes, with your fitness and improvements, what you like/or not and what you find easy/challenging/hard – thanks.
I look forward to seeing you and working out with you this week so that we can continue to improve on our fitness levels, strength, posture balance and flexibility together.
Contact me by email: email@example.com